Eastern Maine Medical Center is proud to be a nationally recognized leader in providing high quality, safe healthcare with exemplary service to the people of central, northern, and eastern Maine. Our employees have a strong vision about how healthcare should be delivered, and we perform our work with the conviction that patients here in Maine deserve the very best. In fact EMMC's Vision Statement spells it out: "Guided by the communities we serve, EMMC will inspire confidence among our patients and peers, setting the standard for exceptional, affordable care. Unparalleled safety, clinical quality, and service will be our hallmark, with consideration for each individual."
Our excellence in clinical care, patient service, quality, and innovative strategies for continuous improvement have caught the attention of the organizations that rank top healthcare facilities and programs across the United States.
We are proud to accept the distinction of the following awards and recognition of excellence and humbled by the trust placed in us by our patients every day:
- EMMC earns Platinum Level Well Workplace designation in 2013 from the Wellness Council of America by linking health promotion objectives to business outcomes.
- EMMC earns 2013 Gold Star Standards of Excellence Award from Maine Tobacco-Free Hospital Network (March 2013)
- EMMC's Trauma Program Successfully Reverified by the American College of Surgeons (October 2012)
- EMMC Named the First General and Bariatric Surgery Robotic Epicenter in the Nation (September 2012)
- Eastern Maine Medical Center is one of the nation's most wired hospitals (July 2012)
- Eastern Maine Medical Center receives an "A" for hospital safety from The Leapfrog Group, an independent national nonprofit run by employers and other large purchasers of health benefits. (June 2012)
- EMMC's Stroke Center earns the Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award, and Target Stroke Award for their commitment to providing high quality healthcare, as well as their ability to work as a dedicated team to serve patients with care that is appropriate and adheres to evidence based clinical guidelines (May 2012)
- Eastern Maine Medical Center Honored by Avatar International with an Exceeding Patient Expectations award (April 2012)
- EMMC Recognized as Gold Star Champions by the Maine Tobacco Free Hospital Network (March 2012)
- Eastern Maine Medical Center receives American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines Bronze Quality Achievement Award (October 2011)
- EMMC named a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures by The Joint Commission (September 2011)
- EMMC recognized as a Preferred Provider by Maine State Employee Health Commission (March 2011)
- EMMC earns Organ Donation Medal of Honor (March 2011)
Eastern Maine Medical Center is proud to be recognized with the Organ Donation Medal of Honor for the sixth time. The award is given to organizations that achieve and sustain national goals for donation, including a donation rate of 75 percent or more of eligible donors at their facility.
- EMMC's Sleep Center of Maine is nationally accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (December 2010).
- EMMC president and CEO Deborah Carey Johnson, RN is named to Becker's Hospital Review List of 52 Women Hospital and Healthcare Leaders (December 2010).
- EMMC's energy innovations have earned the medical center an Energy Star Combined Heat and Power Award from the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- EMMC president and CEO Deborah Carey Johnson, RN is recognized as a 2010 recipient of the Deborah Morton Award (September 2010).
- EMMC received the American College of Cardiology Foundation's NCDR ACTION Registry - GWTG Silver Performance Achievement Award for 2010.
- EMMC Only Healthcare Facility in Maine to be named a Most Wired Hospital (July 2010)
We are proud to announce that for the third year in a row, Eastern Maine Medical Center has been named a Most Wired Hospital. And, this year, we are the only hospital in Maine to earn this national recognition.
- EMMC Selected as a Finalist for 2010 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award
Eastern Maine Medical Center is one of 30 national finalists for the 2010 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award. Nominated by a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Air Force Reserve from Bangor, EMMC was selected from more than 2500 nominations. Fifteen finalists will receive the prestigious award at a ceremony in Washington, DC on September 23, 2010.
- EMMC Receives Two Thumbs Up Seven Years in a Row
EMMC's patient satisfaction feedback has, once again, placed the medical center among the top facilities in the nation for combined satisfaction in Inpatient, Outpatient, Emergency and Ambulatory Surgery Services for the year 2009. EMMC has worked hard over the past decade to achieve these high marks from patients regarding their EMMC experience, and is the only hospital in the compare group to earn this distinction for seven years in a row. The award recognizes high performance that demonstrates consistency of care experiences by patients throughout the organization. In making the announcement, David Medvedeff, PharmD, MBA, CEO of Avatar, says, "To consistently deliver exemplary quality service for all patients throughout an organization is not an easy task. As a winner of Avatar's Overall Best Performer Award, our partners have demonstrated an ability to achieve that consistency and maintain high levels of patient satisfaction. I congratulate each of our partners and commend their commitment to service excellence."
- Eastern Maine Medical Center has received a platinum designation as a Well Workplace. The Platinum Award is the Wellness Councils of America's highest accolade for organizations working to improve the health and wellbeing of their employees. This means that EMMC, and our Total Health program, is nationally recognized as a leader in quality and excellence in worksite health promotion. We are only the third employer in Maine to receive the Platinum designation – only 15 workplaces in the country have received this honor.
- EMMC, as a member of EMHS, awarded Beacon Grant for Healthcare Information Technology
- Joint Center of Eastern Maine First in State to be Certified by The Joint Commission
Eastern Maine Medical Center is proud to announce that its Joint Center is the first in the state, and only the third in New England, to earn the Gold Seal of Approval for healthcare quality from The Joint Commission.
- 2010 Bangor Region Chamber of Commerce Not-for-profit of the Year
Eastern Maine Medical Center is proud and honored to be recognized as the Bangor Region Chamber of Commerce Not-For-Profit of the Year.
- EMMC Recognized for Exceptional Support of Military Reserve
Eastern Maine Medical Center (EMMC) is the Maine 2009 recipient of the Pro-Patria award from the Maine Employer Support of the Guard and Military Reserve (ESGR) program. The Pro-Patria award recognizes employers who demonstrate exceptional support for our national defense by adopting personnel policies that make it easier for employers to participate in the National Guard and Reserve. This award is given to one business or organization per state annually.
- EMMC has been part of a program called MedSun in which hospitals provide the government feedback on medical devices they use. Recently, representatives of US Food and Drug Administration traveled to Bangor to recognize the outstanding contribution of EMMC in ensuring patient safety around the nation. EMMC is recognized as one of the top performers in the country in reporting potential medical device and equipment failure or risks.
- EMMC, as a member of EMHS, Receive National Recogntion for Quality, Safety, and Transparency
- Eastern Maine Medical Center Invited to Participate in Transforming Care at the Bedside Collaboration
EMMC is one of just 16 hospitals across the United States invited to participate in a collaborative effort sponsored by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The goals of Transforming Care at the Bedside, which is referred to as the TCAB Collaborative, are 1) improve the quality and safety of patient care on medical and surgical units, 2) engage and improve the patient and family members' experience of care, 3) improve the effectiveness of the entire care team, and 4) increase the vitality and retention of nurses. Transforming Care at the Bedside originated from the understanding that hospital nurses have many ideas to improve patient care and their work environment, but making changes in a large institution can be time consuming and difficult. Transforming Care at the Bedside is designed to engage front-line staff in identifying barriers to quality patient care and then developing solutions to quickly overcome those problems.
- EMMC's Surgical Weight Loss Program ACS Accredited
Eastern Maine Medical Center's Surgical Weight Loss Program has been granted program accreditation by the American College of Surgeons. As a world leader in surgical quality assurance and patient advocacy, the college has performed a rigorous evaluation and survey of EMMC’s bariatric surgery program and has given it Level 1A status as an Accredited Bariatric Center—it’s highest rating.
- July Fire Starter of the Month
The Studer Group, a healthcare consulting firm devoted to helping organizations create and sustain outcomes in service and operational excellence, has named Eastern Maine Medical Center it's Fire Starter of the Month for July. The award recognizes EMMC's commitment to sustaining impressive patient satisfaction scores over a period of time.
- Stroke Center Earns Joint Commission Certification
Eastern Maine Medical Center's Stroke Center has been awarded the Gold Seal of Approval from The Joint Commission for Certification for Primary Stroke Center. The award recognizes EMMC's commitment to providing high quality care to patients experiencing stroke symptoms. The EMMC Stroke Center incorporates a continuum of care involving community outreach programs, emergency medical services, neurologists, the ED and the care provided by our inpatient and rehabilitation services.
- Three EMMC Nurse Educators Among First in Nation to become Certified Breast Care Nurses
In the spring of 2009, three of EMMC's nurse educators became among the first in Maine, and the United States, to be credentialed as certified breast care nurses by the Oncology Nursing Society. Nurses who are certified breast care nurses have proven their wide knowledge of the many issues involved in providing breast care - from prevention to detection - through diagnosis, treatment and survivorship.
- CancerCare of Maine Receives Outstanding Achievement Award
EMMC's CancerCare of Maine has received the Outstanding Achievement Award from the Commission on Cancer for it's delivery of cancer care. The award is presented every three years, and EMMC is one of only three cancer centers in New England to receive this award (in 2005 and 2008). CancerCare of Maine serves more than 2000 patients from across central, northern and eastern Maine.
- EMMC's Primary Care Offices Among National Leaders in Providing Quality Healthcare
Eastern Maine Medical Center's six primary care practices, Husson Internal Medicine, Husson Family Medicine, Husson Pediatrics, EMMC Center for Family Medicine, EMMC Orono Family Medicine and EMMC Family Medicine of Brewer, have all been certified as Patient Centered Medical Home sites by the National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA). In 2008, EMMC's Husson Internal Medicine became the first primary care office in the northeast, and only the second in the nation, to achieve the certification. Husson Family Medicine, Husson Pediatrics, EMMC Center for Family Medicine, EMMC Orono Family Medicine and EMMC Family Medicine of Brewer all became certified in 2009--the first multi-office primary care group in Maine to receive the distinction.
- EMMC Receives Top Honor for Healthcare Information Technology
Eastern Maine Medical Center is the sole recipient of the 2008 Nicholas E. Davies Organizational Award of Excellence from the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMMS). This prestigious award is given to select hospitals in the country for effectively using information technology to improve the safety and quality of patient care. EMMC joins 25 other hospitals since 1994 to receive top honors for healthcare information technology.
- US Department of Health and Human Services 2008 Organ Donation Medal of Honor
For the fourth year in a row, EMMC has earned the Organ Donation Medal of Honor from the US Department of Health and Human Services. This prestigious award is given to hospitals and organ procurement organizations for excellence in helping grieving families make the decision to help others through organ donation. EMMC continues to be a national role model for other hospitals seeking to improve their ability to help grieving families make the ultimate gift of life to others.
- Breast and Osteoporosis Center Designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
The American College of Radiology's Commission on Quality and Safety and the Commission on Breast Imaging has designated Eastern Maine Medical Center's Breast and Osteoporosis Center as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence. EMMC's Breast and Osteoporosis Center is only the second certified program in the state.