Who should wear a medic alert bracelet? Most people assume that they will be able to tell a healthcare provider about their medical issues. However, that is often not the case. You could be involved in an accident or you could develop an illness in which you are unconscious or confused. Because of these possibilities, it is recommended that you wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace if you:
- have diabetes: a low blood sugar can cause a coma or confusion,
- have a seizure disorder: after a seizure a person is often sleepy and not fully awake,
- have an allergy that is so severe that you may die if you receive the drug,
- are on coumadin: you may develop life threatening bleeding if you are in a car crash or other accident,
- if you have any other condition that your healthcare provider feels would be extremely important for emergency personnel to know in case of an emergency.